Christmas Fruit Cake
Refined flour (maida) 1 1/2 cups
Baking powder 1 1/2 teaspoons
Cinnamon powder 1 teaspoon
Lemon rind 1/4 teaspoon
Almonds, blanched and chopped 10 – 12
Tutti frutti, chopped 3 tablespoons
Glazed cherries, chopped 12 – 15
Walnuts, shelled ,chopped1/4 cup
Mixed peels, chopped 4 tablespoons
Cashewnuts, chopped 8 – 10
Raisins 25 – 30
Currants 15 – 20
Rum 1/2 cup
Vanilla essence a few drops
Butter 1 1/2 cups
Brown sugar, soft 1 1/2 cups
Honey 1 tablespoon
Oil for greasing
1. Sieve flour with cinnamon powder and baking powder. Add lemon rind to it and mix. Keep it aside.
2. Soak chopped almonds, tutti frutti, glace cherries, walnuts, mixed peels, cashewnuts, raisins and currants in rum.
3. Preheat oven to 180C. Grease a cake tin.
4. Break eggs and beat them with vanilla essence. Cream butter with one and a quarter cups of brown sugar till it is soft and light in colour. Add honey and mix. Make caramel with the remaining brown sugar and a little water. It should be blackish in colour.
5. Mix the beaten eggs with the creamed butter and sugar and mix gently. Add the flour mixture and mix with a light hand. Strain the caramel into the soaked fruits and mix well.
6. Add it to the cake batter and mix gently. Pour the batter into the prepared cake tin.
7. Bake at 180C for thirty minutes. Reduce the temperature to 160C and bake further for forty-five minutes.
8. When done take it out of the oven and leave it on a rack to cool. Cut into slices and serve.